Friday, February 18, 2011

The Urge

I've noticed that I have an overwhelming urge to create.

It's also interesting because I also like to know how things work.

Ever since I was a young child I had a fascination with taking a screwdriver to whatever was on hand. Sometimes it would get back together properly, but sometimes not. I've gotten a lot better as I've aged. It's interesting to me the dichotomy that exists between my dismantling things and my creation of other things.

When I create, I feel truly content - whether that's making a whistle out of bamboo or a ring out of some wood, or writing a program, or drawing a picture. It seems like an almost magical process - taking something ordinary, like a blank file, or piece of paper - and turning into something that is either useful in the way a program is useful, or useful in the way that a drawing is useful. One can be used to accomplish work, whether it's mental or physical, while the other is usually useful for bringing pleasure to the audience.

I apologize if this post seems rambling... I've just been thinking about it for a while.

All I really have to say is this:
Creation... it's what I like to do.

1 comment:

mamãe said...

This reminds me of President Uchtdorf's talk about creating that he gave at the RS session of conference. His message can apply to all of us, not just women, as I think you illustrate here :)

We were born to be creators.